When I took a break from social media, I had no idea the “rooms” I would open. Would I still have friends? How will I keep in touch with them?
And truly, sometimes, I don’t hear from some friends for several months, even WITH social media. We are all busy, right?
So it really comes down to this…you do what you want.
Behind most of our decisions or even lack of decisions, there is a motive. We either want to control something in a certain way or we want to have fun or we want to be left alone or whatever. But there is an underlying message to most of our choices, whether or not we choose to see it.
So let’s look at it straight on, then.
In leaving social media, I intended to create some space for those around me. I intended to avoid work-related contact in any other place, but my email. I intended to see if I could actually go through with it. And I intended to tell what I have been learning.
The results after a month and a half? ALL of those things are happening. And IT’S GOOD!
I don’t believe I will be going back to any social media again. I enjoy Pinterest still. But I rarely am there. And when I am, it’s like picking up a magazine and finding good recipes or crafts to try, but it’s really not taking over. It is just a tool that I enjoy.
Here is a list of what I have had time to do without social media:
1) Catch up on my way behind workload.
2) Meet to mentor a sweet young woman every week–I LOVE meeting with her and enjoy our time together so much!
3) Have coffee and lunch with friends to catch up.
4) Taken time to talk with and pray with friends–together and over the phone.
5) Been consistent in keeping up with the kids and the house–the menu and all the other things a mom does.
6) I have read several books.
7) I have had time to listen to others and not be rushed with them.
8) I am not as tied to my phone, as I once was.
9) I have had more time to read blogs, too–your blogs! And time to leave comments.
10) I have been consistent in exercise and lost two pant sizes! HOORAY!
11) I have taken time to be still.
12) I am dreaming about the future and building relationships now that will be a huge part of that future.
13) I have been able to hear from God again–more than I have in several years.
14) Forgiveness has been something I have been walking in…no just hoping for or attempting.
15) I am watchful wherever I go for God to set up little appointments with people–people I know and people I don’t. Hopefully I have been an encouraging light to them!
I have enjoyed this time so very much. I challenge you to consider your own journey like this one. Make space. Make room. Be intentional. Don’t just settle.