As I have taken time away from social media over the past two weeks, so far I have made room for these, mostly fall-ish, things:
1) I finally tackled our bedroom. It is clean and free of clutter. Finally. It has been quite needing it for MONTHS now.
2) We went for a hike at a nearby park called Castlewood Canyon. It was gorgeous! And it was only thirty minutes away. We really live in a beautiful place! So much that we have yet to discover here in beautiful Colorado.
Note: Discovering is a very wonderful task for living in the margin.
Here is the slideshow, if you’d like to see! Our older two were at youth retreat, so we are going back this weekend, so they can enjoy it, too! If I had a theme song to play for this perfect fall Sunday, it would be THIS one.
3) I have been enjoying Gretchen Rubin’s “Happier at Home”. The thing I like about Gretchen is this…she doesn’t stop growing and learning. I think those are such admirable qualities.
4) Except for a few small tasks, my work of late has been very do-able. I am joyfully caught up! That has not happened for over a year. I believe everyone should at least find a place where they can celebrate being caught up–whether it is laundry or work or bills or thank you notes. It is something worth giving a shout of PRAISE for!
5) I have had time to do some serious praying–for family and friends…and myself. I think praying for oneself may sound kind of self-absorbed, but truly it is the source from which all the other prayers and life itself flows. It is always timely to get healthy spiritually.
6) On the very last day of its availability, I participated in Beth Moore’s simulcast on Grace and the Law yesterday. It is still simmering in my mind. But I promise to speak to the content and marginal notes soon. I think already I have seen some changes in my approach to parenting and even friendship.
7) I took a friend to lunch to say thank you. It takes margin to take time out like that. It is something into which we ought to invest…so very valuable, friendship is.
8) I have taken time to email people back and comment on their blogs and even made a few phone calls. That is really huge! Remember how I am not really a fan of the phone?
9) It is two weeks before our oldest daughter’s birthday and I have actually been thinking of some plans, in advance, for celebrating her! She will be 14. I cannot say how long it has been since I have looked ahead and planned. I love that that part of my brain is finding its way again.
10) I have tended to my own heart and emotions in the best way possible. I have taken them to the Lord. And He has faithfully given me confidence and courage in the midst of uncertain days and situations.
There are so many more places in which I would like to see growth. But for now…a little over two weeks out of the gate, I am so very pleased to say that taking time off from social media has been a FOR ME kind of decision. Yes, I have missed important news and pictures. But it is funny how people have taken time to share in other ways with me.
I’m beginning to wonder if social media is actually stealing the fullness of life from such news. Remember when we shared photos and news and it was fresh?? Now it’s all like, “Yeah I’ve seen that on Facebook already.” Such a let down, I think.
I wonder. I just wonder if we actually began to intentionally share things face to face–or even over the phone–if we might find ourselves feeling such joy and satisfaction over the process we have eagerly thrown away in the name of “saving time” and “getting it out there all at once”. Just thoughts stirring…
What do you all think?